Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seasons change






Well, now that it’s officially fall and officially cold and officially dark at 5:00, I am not doing much riding. I didn’t ride for two weeks and then Sunday Betsy and I headed out to the last Blackwater Trail Rider ride of the year, at Marsh-Billings Rockefeller National Park in Woodstock. I think neither one of us really wanted to drive the hour away but did really want to see the park.




We met up with about six or seven women, some from our group and some from a northern NH group, I think from Canaan. It was a beautiful town and the rumors that there is a lot of money there are not false, according to the stately buildings and cute shops. We parked in a great little lot and after crossing someone’s backyard, headed into the park. The trails were lovely – mostly gravel packed roads, big enough to ride two-by-two on. It was easy to see that the trails were made carefully… all the drainage went off the trails and they followed loops around the woods so would be difficult to get lost.




We headed up a gradual slope to a great lookout. On the way we passed through a couple of gorgeous fields and someone’s horse decided to roll in the yellowing grass! (see photo!) The lookout was beautiful and there were even hitching posts there! The ride just made me want to bring Beth and Marcia, who I know would appreciate the trails… some of the ladies said this place was better than Arcadia, and that made me think an overnight trip might be in order! I think it would be a cool place to go for a weekend!




Anyway, we rode for about two hours and my favorite part was the pond which we circled. We met a young family there and when the kids asked to pet a horse, I was surprised no one said anything… so I offered Sky for them to meet and they were really grateful. I think it’s important to share horses with kids… especially nowadays when kids don’t seem to care about anything that isn’t a video game!




I thought it was a long trip for such a short ride, but it was fun. Sky did great, although she was a little excited to be near Harvey. I can’t blame her. Overall she behaved really well. I need to ride more but it is dark by the time I get out of work, which is just leaving the weekend.




Other than that, I am doing well. I started going to the chiropractor, which is interesting. Karl is working a few jobs and is doing well. Thanksgiving is coming and we’re having a passel of people at our house! The Equine Affaire is Friday and I’m taking a day off… it’s fall… I’m already counting down to Spring!
C

No comments: