Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sky’s Grand Adventure

When one gets a phone call on a Saturday morning from a friend who is not the friend who keeps one’s horse saying that said horse is in this friend’s yard, one tends to panic.

Betsy called me and left a message on Saturday morning. I was in the middle of frantically finishing a baby quilt for a friend’s shower the next day, so I did not hear the phone ring. Immediately I thought that Betsy wanted to ride and as I checked the message, I felt badly b/c again there aren’t enough hours in the day to get everything done. However, upon listening to this message I realized it was a whole other story.

Betsy said something to the effect that “a horse that looked likes Sky and a Chestnut that she didn’t know” were in her yard and that she was going to call Lisa and then try to catch them… I immediately call Lisa who had no idea what I was talking about and ran outside to count horses…. Here I am on the phone and she’s calmly going... “One, two, three… Scarlet, Onyx, Willow…” It was pretty funny.

So, we agree that she’s going to call Betsy and call me back and when she does I find out that Sky is caught over there and in their paddock but the other horse, who we determine to have been Gypsy, found her way back on her own.

Without much drama, Lisa takes a halter over to Betsy’s and walks Sky home. Other than Harvey being upset that his houseguest was leaving, there was no harm done. After laughing about how silly Sky is to have gotten out and found her way to Betsy’s house, where’s she’s been on more than one occasion, I realize I am lucky. If she had gone up the power lines instead of down the trail to Betsy’s she could have been really lost – she could have gotten out to the highway. It made me think of all those people whose horses get lost in forests, never to be seen again.

My panic didn’t last b/c my horse was back in her pasture eating a new round bale before I knew it. Lisa felt pretty badly about the whole thing, which she didn’t need to – stuff happens. I am just glad my horse is smart enough to go visiting through the woods, and not down the road!
I will hopefully get to ride tonight – it gets dark out so fast!

C

No comments: