Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I just looked at her

So, I was having a bad day yesterday (a story I really don’t want to get into). I had to drop off board money b/c the first of the month had already come and gone, but I didn’t really feel like riding. I should have ridden since I’d spent Monday afternoon helping Lisa clean out her overstocked dressing room in her trailer, but I just didn’t feel like riding.
So, I got Sky out (nearly being eaten to death by black flies) and took her in the barn to brush her and spend some time with her. I think it’s nice every now and then to take a moment to really look at your horse… we get so busy and hurried with trying to squeeze all the rides in that, for me, it’s pretty cool every now and then to just hang out with my horse.
Sky’s pretty funny. She sighs and gives me silly looks (if horses can actually give a looks, which I think they can). She seemed to know I wasn’t feeling like myself b/c she stood super still, not tied or anything and let me lean on her. I think she leaned on me a little too. I talked to her and told her my problems and I think she listened with a sympathetic ear.
I knelt down in the stall and she sniffed my face and looked down at me, probably wondering what we were doing, but appreciating the break from the routine all the same. There are a lot of things I love about Sky that I forget to notice sometimes. I love how her markings make her unique – kind of like a cow, but totally not. I love that you can see the veins in her face and her legs, like a bodybuilder. She has perfectly shaped ears and beautifully shaped feet. Her muscles are more defined than they were this winter, now that she’s being worked. Her crest is tall and muscled up and her hindquarters are stiff to the touch, where this winter there was a little give. Her shoulders are big and she looks capable and graceful all at the same time.
Sky’s pretty understanding – you know, for a horse. She’s been a constant in my life for two years. A lot of other things have changed but she’s always been there for me and been the same… eager to learn and full of curiosity… full of trust – willing to go wherever I take her (well, most everywhere!)
She’s a good horse and I’m lucky to have her. I think it’s important to remember that every now and then.

C

No comments: