Monday, June 23, 2008

I left my show clothes at home

So, I had a choice to make this weekend… show or trail ride… the age old question. Honestly, I struggled. On one hand, I wanted to hang out with Lisa, who I haven’t seen in a couple of weeks and I did want to add to my ever-growing collection of ribbons. But, on the other hand, I am short on horse funds, a little tired of the scene and a little sad for some good old fashioned riding (you know, the kind where you actually go somewhere!)

So, I got up later on Sunday morning and was grateful not to be out of the house at dawn. I got Sky ready and Betsy rolled in right on time. Bear Brook is much larger than I thought, and I found myself spying down every trail we passed on the road to check out where it might lead.
After we deciphered the overly detailed map, we headed down a trail with the attitude that if we got lost we’d find our way back eventually.

Despite having little to no audience, I matched my shirt to Sky’s saddle pad – no reason not to look good!

Anyway, the trail was a little rocky and I worried about Sky’s feet, but overall it was great. We walked and trotted a little, with Betsy’s horse, Harvey leading the way. They must have made good friends in the trailer, because Sky took his lead well as we went through mud and such. Sky chose to boondock me through a big tree limb, though and my left arm is a little worse for the wear!
The trail got rockier and rockier and then we came across a steep incline lined with natural stone steps…. Gheeze… how are we going to get up those? Well, Harvey picked his way right up, no problem.
My lovely horse tried to turn around! Literally… it was like “ok, I’m done, let’s go back to the trailer!” But I turned her back and edged her on and after a good five seconds of deep thought on the subject, she lurched forward and powered her way up the steps. I felt like Rocky! I could practically hear the music!
Betsy and I cursed ourselves for not taking a photo of the steps but were unwilling to go back. We went by a beautiful marsh and then met more than one mountain biker, hiker and dog walker. Both horses spooked a little, but took everything well. I am amazed at how well Sky takes a bike… she used to be terrified. She even led a little as we went on.

After a couple of missed turns we were headed back… We trotted a bit to beat the thunder we heard rumbling in the distance and then Betsy asked me if it was ok to canter… after a decidedly long pause, I yelled back that I would try.. so Harvey lopes off and I urge Sky to lope as well. She kicked into it with no problem (and by that I mean the “ooh I get to run” buck I was expecting). I even got her to collect some as we went along. It was great! She did break back to a trot at one point and then kept trotting faster and faster… I was urging her on but she wouldn’t break back into the lope until I literally told her it was ok to – then she was right back in it! Funny!

It started pouring as we drove home, and I was grateful we weren’t on the trail. I did feel a pang of guilt and missing-out when I heard from Lisa about the show, but it’s not the last show I’ll have the opportunity to go to. It was a good day and that’s all that matters.

No comments: