Monday, June 30, 2008

Moving Day

Sky and I are going through some change. Change is hard, but Sky and I are both pretty experienced with it.

Friday, I went to the barn despite the rain and thunder figuring it was my last chance to use the indoor! I think I might have spent more time talking than riding but that’s ok. I, obviously, chatted with Christina about all the drama – about the news that Robyn and Rich were going to ask Sarah to “shape up or ship out” and what that meant for her. I tried to convince her to talk to them and maybe carve out a better position for herself instead of leaving as she was planning on giving her notice, but she seemed too worn out on the place to try again.

I talked to Ginny, too - Ginny who is cooky and funny and perhaps a little crazy, but nice just the same. She went on about her horse, Fred, and how she was recovering from her fall last year. Cassie was getting Fred ready for a 4-H qualifying show in the aisle, doting over his every stand of mane.

So, I did ride a bit and even loped (both ways) – she did well.

Saturday was our “moving day”. I met Lisa at 2 at the barn. When I got there, there wasn’t a soul around. (well, Sarah and her so-called barn manager were around but I avoided them). I knew the Kelly’s were at the 4-H show and I did feel bad that I hadn’t had a chance to talk to Robyn about when Sky was actually leaving. I got my stuff all together and I did feel a bit sad. It’s not that I don’t like it there. I like the rings and the trails and the barn is ok. I don’t really mind Robyn and Rich. For a few minutes I wondered why it was that I was leaving. I tried to remember the changed stalls and the nearly-missed feedings… I tried to remember the times when there wasn’t a soul around to ride with and the needless spats I’d had with Sarah. When Lisa backed into the driveway, I was ready to go.

When all that was left to pack up was Sky, Robert (the Kelly’s son) appeared to inquire what was going on. I felt bad for the kid, but not really. As I chased Sky around to nab her from her grass, Sarah appeared and chatted Lisa up. She left before I got Sky out of the field – Lisa informed me that Sarah had told her that “all nine of my horses are out of here tomorrow morning and they don’t know yet”… mmmm.. the plot thickens. Weird.

So, we took Sky to Lisa’s and put her in a stall with a half-door between her and the herd. There was a lot of squealing and she did smack her face once, but other than that, it was ok. Lisa and I took a quick ride with a couple of people who came up to see her and then hung out for dinner. After the ride, I spent some time in the yard riding around – loping her too. She did great that time, taking off on the first stride I asked for and keeping relatively calm.

Sunday morning, I get a call from Robyn, who reminds me that I left Sky’s winter blanket at the barn and to tell me that Ginny’s horse, Fred (gulp) DIED on the trailer on the way back from the 4H Show on Saturday. Holy F***Balls! Yeah. Robyn was sobbing uncontrollably and told me something about Fred being scared of the carts at the show and having gotten himself worked up and that the vet said he had a heart attack on the trailer! Poor Ginny must be devastated – Cassie too! AND she was full of surprise to tell me that Sarah had packed up her horses and left AND taken Natasha with her daughter and mini horse with them! I cannot help but feel bad for them. I immediately called Christina to tell her what was up.

When I got to Lisa’s, I rode a quick half hour and then we let her out with the herd. It was funny because she squealed once to Onyx, who she knows anyway, and that was it. No pushing around, not sniffing and kicking… good. I’ll go up today to see how she’s doing and hopefully ride. The rain has been brutal. There’s been so much drama going on, I am in need of time to just enjoy my horse.

C

No comments: