Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Settling In

New places are funny. Yesterday I went out to Lisa’s after work (after getting on the highway the wrong way and having to turn around!) to ride. No one was home, so I went out to the barn and spotted Sky waaaayyy out back, away from the rest of the herd who was by the barn. Now, going out to get her was not what made me hesitate – it was having to cross the mud lined stream that was between me and her.

Lisa came home while I was still plotting the best way to go and before I could protest, she climbed aboard her only gelding bareback with my lead rope as a lasso. Her husband and I had a good laugh as she tried to snag Sky but she was pretty proud of her cowgirl skills when she brought her to the barn.

Sky rode really well. I loped her off about three times each way and she did good. It’s really cool to feel her tuck her butt under her and push into the lope with her butt rather than the leaping lunge that she used to use to take off with her front end. I get less nervous about it every time we go, so that’s good too.

I worked on other things too – reining too handed but neck reining a little too. We stopped and departed from the stop at the trot, which she does well. We worked a little on turning on the haunches and the forehand and a little on side-passing. I rode with Lisa’s lesson girl, who’s about 16 and riding her pokey old show mare. I was surprised to find that her yard area where we ride is big enough to have two riders, which is good.

When we were finished, I let my mind wander a little and let Sky go wherever. To my surprise she perked her ears up and headed toward the road.. .mmm… Now, I am happy that the traffic going by didn’t seem to bother her and that the close proximity to the road will only make that better, but I didn’t expect her to want to go that way… So, I said to myself “what the heck” and encouraged her toward the cornfield/power lines that we had ridden toward before. She poked her way pretty bravely through Lisa’s neighbors yard (she has permission), through old cars and scary stuff. I had to push her a little to go up the little slope beside the cornfield but she went along well. In typical Sky fashion, she stopped about three times and tried to chicken out and go home, but I kept her going and made it my own decision to turn around when I got to the end of the field. A job well done, I thought.

I am trying to convince Lisa to go trail riding on the 4th, and I think Betsy will come too. John is being really supportive with our progress and our next show is July 13th at Oak Rise, which Lisa’s is willing to give another try.

Till next time,

C

No comments: