Tuesday, September 9, 2008

the countdown begins... 398 days to go

Well, the preparation is over, the parties are completed and Karl has gotten himself down to South Carolina and back into the folds of the Army… it just sucks.

He’s with people who are in the same situation as him, if that could possibly make anything better. I cannot pretend to know how hard it must have been for him to leave his family and force himself to go. I wish I could know more of what he is going through, because then I could empathize more.

I took half of the day Friday and the whole day Monday off to be with him and re-group. I am trying to focus on all the things I am looking forward to and not on the fact that he’ll be gone for so long. The house seems empty, though, as does everything. I think Sadie misses him a lot right now, which is sad.

Lisa is trying to keep me busy, I think. She offered me the ring steward job at the NHQHA show on Saturday and I think that will be fun, although I have a suspicion I’ll be missing a Blackwater ride to do it. She also suggested I join the board, which she is on. I like that organizational and involved stuff so I’ll do that too.

I’m super excited for East Corinth, so much so I’m sure others are tired of me talking about it. But on top of being a great trip and a time to see old friends, it’s a vacation and I don’t think I’ve needed one so badly in a long time…. Then there’s the Deerfield Fair to enjoy and the Equine Affaire, and lots of Blackwater rides – one show left, too, although I’m more interested in just riding right now.

Sky was abandoned while Karl was getting ready to go and she wasn’t thrilled about being brought out yesterday, although she was a trooper about having to go under the hay conveyor and by the HUGE truck that delivered 800 bales for Lisa yesterday afternoon. Once we were in the yard she was a royal snot, though. The bugs were bad enough without her stinky attitude…. She’s continually awkward and gawky and overall bad after she hasn’t been ridden in over three days – the next time I ride she’ll be great, that’s how it goes… she’s a horse that likes to be used or left alone and there isn’t much in between there – for how good she is, she is still a mare!
Anyway, life will even out into a new sense of normalcy this week, I imagine, although it will be a while before I’m settled again. I’ll start packing soon for the move to Lisa and Josh’s and then go on vacation and then maybe the waters will be calmer. In the meantime, I will take each day and emotion as it comes because that’s all you can do – one step at a time and when I’m comfortable with that, I’ll look up again.

C

No comments: