Monday, May 5, 2008

"riding in the rain" (silver heels show)

I don't have a lot of time, but here's the skinny on the show this weekend.

Saturday, Lisa picked Sky up at the barn. I spent a lot of time grooming her and getting her all beautiful and kept her in all day even though it was going to rain. Saturday's rain wasn't so bad, so I was still hopeful.

We get to Lisa's house and Sky (who hasn't ever been on a ramped trailer) tried to back off the trailer and slid like she was at a waterslide at Disneyworld and took a HUGE digger, hitting her knee and her muzzle on the ramp! Poor girl, she had dogs barking nearby and a horse bucking in the roundpen next to her and she just snorted and stood up and shook it off! Of course, I was a wreck over it, but she was ok - a scape on her knee and else just fine.

So, we clipped and we groomed and we did all the horse show prep stuff and when I arrived at Lisa's at 5:45 AM on Sunday, it was drizzling lightly... so we think, "we can handle this" and head out to the show. Poor Sky got on and off the trailer fine, got used to the show grounds and handled being out in the drizzle through the AM. ... so the halter classes start at 8 and Lisa goes into her first one and it starts RAINING, not drizzle, RAIN - ewww... So, I look around as I am holding Sky by the rail and trailers are pulling out left and right... the beautiful, professional looking Paints I saw started disappearing along with their silver show halters and handlers in full makeup and clear raincoats on over expensive show outfits.

Then our first class comes up "Paint/Pinto Halter" and it's me and one other girl with a sorrel tobiano, who has a tail down to the ground... so we got out and instantly my boots are soaked in the puddles and I start to wonder what I'm doing here. The judge looks her over and asks how old she is... and we are 2nd out of 2.

Then, it's "color model halter" and they're 4 in the class... short story is we got 4th. Still miserable.

So, we're both done our Halter classes and Lisa doesn't know if she wants to stay. she's not happy with the judge b/c she didn't place in any of her halter stuff and she's a little unhappy with how the judge acted... so, we decide to put the horses on the trailer with their hay and get in the truck to warm up. All the while, trucks are pulling out as the rain starts coming down harder.

We wait and watch as some English riders mount up for their classes and we're trying to count how many are left. The reason Lisa wants to leave is b/c she came to Silver Heels b/c she wanted to know the level of competition and if everyone left then it wouldn't be competition at all. But as the classes go on, we decide, "hey, we're here". So the decision comes that, as my classes are first, I'll tack Sky up on the trailer and get her off and get on her just in time to ride for my classes.

As I get her ready, they announce that competitors can where whatever they need to in order to stay dry, so I dawn my purple rainsuit and attempt to get Sky off the trailer. She decideds that's a bad idea and rears up twice while I'm in there with her (SCARY).. Lisa comes and helps us out and we get her off... the rain is coming down, my saddle is getting soaked and Sky is not happy. But I get on anyway and start riding around. After having been in for nearly two days and being out in the rain, she could have been worse, but she wasn't good... straining at the bit and not listening, avoiding puddles, and overall pretty bad...

I realize that I'm the only one in "novice walk/trot equitation 13 and over" and go into the ring (oh, and get this, I had to wear a helmet in these classes... I wasn't impressed).. the judge and I laugh about the weather and the lack of people and she makes it fast. I win. The next class "novice walk/trot pleasure 13 and over" is a repeat of the same. Sky gets better about the puddles but is all over the place otherwise.

I ride in the pratice area and do "novice walk/trot command 13 and over" with two others (both English). .We were awesome... doing everything well before the time allowed and she was very relaxed and looked much better. Except the judge was watching the other two more than me and when she asked us to back up, Sky took one too many steps.. 3rd out of 3...

It's POURING now and I'm soaked and cold and Sky is soaked and cold... we wait for the lunch break and for the trail course to be set up (an easy one for us).. Lisa starts practicing for her classes. By now I'm pretty unhappy being out in the rain. I know I'll be the only one in my trail class and I know that Sky and I can do that with our eyes closed. I don't need to prove anything to anyone and I really don't want another undeserved blue. So, I scratch and put Sky away, change into dry clothes, organize the trailer dressing room and by the time I am done and go to watch Lisa in her last classes, it's stopped raining. Grrr....

We head out without Lisa even finding out if she did well in her trail class. We collect ribbons from a woman who just asked us what classes and what place. I get two blues, one red, one yellow and one white, plus two trophies and I didn't beat a soul. Silly.

Lisa and I pull out, take Sky home, who gets off the trailer much better and shakes hard before going out with her mare friends. I'm happy to see her home.

All I asked God for that morning, was that I came home smiling and everyone would be safe. That happened. My husband came and was a super trooper, Lisa and I had a decent time together and I'm still invited to go to other shows with her... we got some experience being other places and out in the rain... whatever.. I'm looking forward to doing this again in good weather and without halter classes which I don't think I care for (I'd rather ride longer). I hope Lisa decides to go to Oak Rise instead of ME QH shows... I'm anxious to do some trail riding and relax a little. I'm showed out for a week or two!

Thanks for all the help, John.

C

No comments: