Thursday, May 22, 2008

Trail Rides & Show Prep

Hi all,

So, I’m glad people are missing my blog, but I gotta be good b/c blogging at work is frowned upon. Anyway, a quick note about what we’ve been up to… Sunday Robyn and I went on a trail ride – wow, I know… This is the first time since August when we got to MMF that I’ve seen her ride! She decided Colorado would be a good choice – a bay standardbred that is recovering from a skull injury after getting kicked by a stud… poor guy. He came to MMF a few weeks ago on a trial basis and is doing well so far – doesn’t know much although the previous owner claims to have ridden him often… anyway, he’s on a half lease out already to one of the lesson kids and seems to be a good horse with a good disposition. That can be worked with.

So, we head out and she’s pretty nervous. We head out the power lines and Sky surprisingly decides it’s ok to lead (shocker)… that is until we get to the stream and then she becomes the mule that she can be when she doesn’t want to do something. I don’t blame her for being scared, but I do feel a twinge when I know that when she wants to go somewhere, a little stream isn’t an issue. Because Robyn is nervous and Sky won’t go, therefore Colorado won’t go either I expidite the process by getting off and leading Sky over the stream (the snowmobile bridge put in this winter helped out by I still got mud on my boots).

After that we did ok – not great, but ok – we struggled through some big puddles and made it down a little bit of paved road and finally to the other conservation area up Shaker Road. But just as we were headed up to the fire tower I’ve always wanted to make it to, it started to rain and Cassie was headed to meet us. So, we turned around and made it back in half the time it took us to get out there, making for about a two hour ride. Sky decided she wanted to lead on the way home, but I made her go the back instead. Right before we got home, I thought she’d pop a tendon if she walked any faster , so I made her lose sight of the other horses – not making her a happy camper… she tried to jig but I made her stop and back and stand until she walked normally. When we got back, I rode in the ring more to prove to her that there was no rush to get home, ever. It was fun and that’s what counts, anyway.

So, this week I’ve been ring riding – trot/walk/trot – circle/circle/circle…. Walk/trot/walk…. Trying to get ready for the Oak Rise Show on Sunday. She’s started doing the same thing she used to do going from a walk to a trot, but in reverse – sticking her neck out and her head up when changing gaits… now it’s from a walk to a trot but I’m working on it. She’s doing ok. I’m less stressed than for the last show and I think knowing it’s not going to rain helps… also it always gets easier. John will be there to help, which is generous considering I can’t afford to do a lesson and the show in the same week. So, I’ll be riding today and tomorrow and Saturday morning, then give her a big bath, decide whether to go with the same old show shirt and pad or change it up to a white shirt and teal pad (maybe the red), and loading her up! Then, next week Robyn and I planned another ride together, then we have the “ride” at the barn, which isn’t going to be much considering we have no one signed up! And on the first, we have Lakes Region Show Series… I’m not sure if I can keep up.

One day at a time!

No comments: