Monday, April 20, 2009

I'd Rather Ride...

So, yesterday was a good day. Overall, anyway... it was nice weather and I didn't have to do anything in particular (well I was supposed to go to Easter do-over at my parents but we'll get to that later.)...

I decided I would ride in the morning and then head up to said family activity, which I really didn't want to go to in the first place. It's not that I am anti-family it's just that it's an hour long drive and I've driven it about once a week lately.

So after getting to the barn and chatting with Lisa in person and with my friend Scott online (who is moving with his wife and baby back to NH soon - yeah!) I headed out to round up Sky. On this day, luckily, rounding up Sky simply involved calling her and holding a stall door open for her to sprint through! Some days we are not so lucky.

Anyway, Michelle was out in the yard lunging Red when we started out to ride. I invited her to go for a short jaunt, considering I didn't have a lot of time but she insisted Red had worked enough for the day. Oh well.

So Sky and I rode in the yard for about a half hour. I loped her both ways after swallowing my fears that it would go badly. John told me after my last post that she was trying to give me what I was asking for, not being the snot I thought she was... This, I think might be a matter of attitude - not Sky's - mine. If I concentrated more on whether or not I get the result I had asked for then I can concentrate less on the manner in which it is given... so I asked for the lope, let her head come up some (who cares, really at this point), ignored the pinned ears, and went for it. At first she did get off on the wrong lead, but I simply pulled her up and started again, from the walk.

Anyway, after riding for a bit, I got off and checked my phone before untacking... good think b/c Betsy had called and wanted to ride.. good timing that I could hop back on and go to meet her... had to call my mom to tell her I'd be late, but hey, I didn't really want to go anyway and it's going to rain all week, so I figured I better get in while the getting is good.

So, I meet Betsy and we did a reverse of a ride we did the other day, making it a little shorter and doing a little less tresspassing than last time... overall it was uneventful but nice - we did some slow trotting and managed to have no real incidents...

But by the time we got back it was 130 and I was supposed to be at my parent's house for 100, so I called my mom and told her I wasn't coming... I felt bad but was happy to be able to have the rest of the day to not rush.

So, I will hopefully get on today - depending on how cold it is (I know I'm a wuss). Then I work tomorrow (like the sound of that) and it's supposed to rain, so I imagine we won't ride for a while.

Oh - and we are in the works to camp out near Marsh Billings around the beginning of June - yeah - something to look forward to!

C

No comments: