Monday, May 18, 2009

Hey, Look Ma, One Hand!

Yesterday I rode with a couple of goals in mind... I wanted to see where I was if I rode with my reins in one hand, the way you are supposed to for shows, and I wanted to work on transitions.

I did both - and at the same time even... trotting, stopping, walking, trotting... you know the drill - all reining with my right hand only... it's measurably more difficult considering that the only reason I really will hold my hand this way is for shows - if I'm trail riding I leave my reins crossed and ride with one hand, but am always ready to use two if I need to. For training and schooling, I typically ride with two because I need as many tools as I can get.

But for shows one hand is the way (because you know if I was a cowboy out on the plains, I would need my other hand for roping etc.). So, yesterday I decided it was time that I better make sure I can do it when the time comes... Sky remembers a lot from showing last year and did great at the walk and trot. I concentrated a lot on smooth transitions, using my seat as much as I can to control her speed and get her to listen.

The walk and trot was going so well that I made a choice to go right ahead and ask her to lope while I had a free hand.... she is doing well with her lope but not perfect. She doesn't seem to get it the first time I ask... the second time she does great but the first is always bad... and I don't mean the first time for the session of riding... I mean the first time that I ask her after a little walking and trotting... I have got to get her to know what I mean and I'm sure it is my fault in some way. My big fear is hearing the 'all canter or lope' cue come out of the lould speaker and then be on the wrong lead! I know that there are worse things that could happen, but I think being on the wrong lead is a major faux pas.

We have two weeks left until our first show... well, thirteen days... ewww.. don't say it like that!!! I looked at my 'timeline' last night that I had made when I had five weeks to go and I am pretty much where I said I would be which is a good sign. However, the hardest preperation is ahead... I have to put the pieces together.... practice equitation patterns with the lope, practice trail courses with the lope, lots and lots of showmanship practice... I have to make sure that we are going to be ok to do w/t/c... it's going to be a busy 13 days.

C

No comments: