Sunday, May 3, 2009

Make Plans and God Laughs....

So yesterday was a full day - started out full and got fuller. I had planned to ride in the morning, go to Karl's first baseball game of the year (coaching, not playing) and then make an appearance at John's Kentucky Derby party... a full day.

So when Karl headed off to his opening cerimonies I went up to the barn. Lisa was getting motivated to head outside with the baby so it was a good time to be around. I worked Sky in the yard - wishing I had a trail ride companion for the day as I figure she is ready for some trail riding after all the work we've been doing, but oh, well. We had a little trouble as I was trying to get her to be on the correct lead and I could tell Sky was getting frustrated with not knowing what I was asking. Luckily Lisa stopped in to see how we were doing and offer her advice. She watched me for a moment and then had me try. Then I saw that look - that look that says, "I haven't been on a horse in 7 months and I know I can fix this problem.. let me on her, let me on her..."... so when she asked I was happy to hop off and see what she could get.

She showed me a little about how the idea of having her canter from the rollback was to have her cross her legs over in order to lift her shoulder and be able to push from her outer back leg. Lisa worked Sky laterally and then started asking her to lope off. She got the correct lead each time and despite being a little insecure that she could get it and I couldn't, I asked questions and tried to learn - after all, that's what it is about, not competing or showing each other up...

So I had to get back on and get it right for myself. Lisa tutored me a bit in how I was sitting in order to ask her for the lope - and boom - we get it right! YES! I love to get stuff right... Yeah... Hopefully next time will be just as successful.

Then I bolted down to Manchester to make it to Karl's game - I was a bit late but it was ok. His team looks really good except that they lost, but they did well. I have to say that it was cool to see him in charge and talking to the kids... very sexy... love the husband...

While we were still hanging out at the ballfield I got a call from a strange number... ok... it turned out to be Grace from the job in Bedford - the one that I had stopped obsessing over two days ago with an 'oh well' and a big glass of wine b/c it had been almost a month and I hadn't heard back from her.

So we make an appointment to meet in an hour and Karl and I went down to John's. He thought that it would be good for Karl to meet them too so he came along, despite being nearly alseep from having been up for so long!

The interview (if that's what you call it) was long - but good. They are nice people and I can understand why they want to keep that barn so nice - it's nicer than any house I will ever live in! We talked for about an hour with Karl and then another hour with just me and went over my background etc. and what I expected the job to be like. I think that they likes us/me and that I had the abilities that they are looking for. Today they want me to come and 'ride a couple of the horses for them' so I am nervous. I don't like to be on the spot - like the first class at a show - it's hard to get to relax. I only hope I can do okay for them. The only thing I can do is my best which is what I do every time anyway so we will see.

I'll let you know how it goes...

C

No comments: