Saturday, May 9, 2009

the importance of being home...

I don't have a lot of riding post to say today, just because I haven't ridden since Wednesday but that's only b/c we've had friends in town and I figured that Sky would be fine for a couple of days while I spent some time with them.

Scott & Nikki live in NY currently and are moving here (Super YEAH inserted here) b/c Nikki got a new job. It's very exciting. We've known them forever, it seems. Scott cheered with me and Karl in college and has been Karl's best friend nearly as long as I've known him. I can barely remember a time when I haven't seen them together and haven't considered them brothers, really. I've gotten to know Nikki just the past few years but they've been together longer than Karl and I, I think.

Anyway, it's exciting that they will be back in the area because they have a young baby now and it's cool to be a part of his life and see him grow. And it's wonderful to have people who understand you and really know you around too. Karl and I are happy to have them stay with us while they have the inspections done on their new house and figure out all the paperwork. They will more likely than not spend anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks with us coming up while Nikki starts her job and they wait to close on their new house. Exciting.

I am working today - looks like I am simply babysitting the showroom just in case anyone wants to walk in off the street and buy a new bathroom. I can barely contain my enthusiasm....

After this I am going up to the barn, hoping it won't be raining, and get on my horse again. I would like to get her out on the trail and allow her to relax a little.. it's been work, work, work for her lately. But with Betsy having been gone on va-ca my pool of trail buddies has gotten significantly smaller. (Ah, there's another good reason why not getting this job is good- I will still be able to ride with Betsy! Yeah!) So, Sky and I might have to go it alone or stick to the yard, depending. Maybe... maybe, I can convince Josh to watch B for a bit while Lisa goes down the road with me. That might be a longshot.

We are getting close to the first show... let's see... almost three weeks excactly. Ouch. Not that we are SO far off from where we need to be, I just don't feel as prepared as I could be. We need to get that lope consistant and under control, we have to work on reining one-handed and we have to work on showmanship - those are the main things... beyond that we should do some more trail work, work our transitions, do some patterns and general conditioning... so, not a lot at all, really (sarcastic tone resignating).

Besides the worry that we are not good enough for show there is the worry about paying for everything! Between shots and teeth floating and old farrier bills I have a lot to pay for coming up and then there's the money just to enter the show... the new show shirt and pad I was eyeballing will have to wait, maybe until my birthday if I beg hard enough. So, I don't suppose sitting here and being paid for it is that bad after all.. especially consdiering that Karl has been generous enough lately to let me keep my piddily paychecks rather than adding them to the family bank account and I'm managing to save toward the above mentioned bills. I hope I can find a way to get to Marsh Billings coming up. I really want to do that.

Ayway, I gotta go... possibly do some real work. As everyone tells me keep your chin up.

C

No comments: