Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Day Two, Three and Four

So, after my lesson with John, I went into the barn the next day with new ferver for riding and with all the enthusiasm of having learned something new.

Sky was soaking wet from the rain and hyper to boot. I lunged her (she's a round pen type of girl) and we got going - she did good, not as good as the day before, but good. She accepted walking in a collected frame... giving to the bit as we walked along.. but the longer we rode the more she tried to "spit me out" or lean on the bit... I tried trotting a little bit to keep her occupied and she did well at the trot, then I ended on the best note I could.

Saturday I didn't ride b/c it's my only day off and Karl finally wanted to do some car shopping. Sunday I went out to ride and she was even more resistant to the bit pressure... I think she's sick of this game already or as Josh used to tell me "she needs to learn to be pulled on" Either way, it was not super successful. I try to relax my shoulders and only use my fingers to manervor the reins and she seems to respond, but she also doesn't want to be pulled on. John said to try to get her to the point where she creates her own release by "reaching" for the bit. She doesn't seem to do that often. It's more often that she leans on the bit in an effort to be let go of or tries to bring her head up for the same end. I feel as though I'm pulling on her just to pull on her again and not giving her any real release or reward and that's why she's getting frustrated, but I also know that is not the case. John said that she's looking for a very tiny bit of release.... I hope I'm giving it to her.

Anyway, Monday I rode again and although for not very long, I did drop my stirrups down as John suggested and it made a big difference. Sky is still spitting my pressure out although I trotted her some and that break in the monotony seemed to help as she will release more there.. We'll see.. I hope to afford another lesson Thursday.

No comments: