Thursday, April 24, 2008

Show Season here we come!

Well, it's super nice out and I'm super excited for summer! And while my expectations and hopes for the year include camping, trail riding and day trips, I'm also ready to get back in the show ring and test our skills against some NH people and horses..

I have to say I'm pretty nervous about showing against horse-crazed New Hampshire-ites, who so far seem to be cut throat in their seriousness compared to the layed back Texans and New Mexico people I showed with in the past. I worry that Sky and I won't be good enough and will be out walk/trotted by some 13 year old girl and her $10,000 quarter horse with her mom barking orders from the sidelines! (oh, I can see it now...)

But nevertheless, I'm willing to swallow my nervous pride and get out there and try to have some fun. I liked showing in NM and TX - I like the nervous energy and the thrill of performing, which I seriously miss from my long-past cheerleading days... and I'll admit that I'm a big fan of my number and horse's name being called over a crackly fairground loudspeaker so I may go collect my glorious piece of brightly colored satin. That's a trip.

So, Sky and I have been following the John Toli plan, collecting her in and building her muscles. She's getting better at the trot and listens well, although I sense her boredom in the ring in favor of the unknown of the trails (I LOVE HER!)

We have a lesson today and I have a ton of questions. I hope I can squeeze them into an hour. I'm thrilled it's Spring, thrilled to have a new friend to go to shows together with, and thrilled to have a trainer who is as thrilled as me about my horse and our experiences. I hope it all goes well, but if it doesn't, it will make just as good (if not better) of a story for another day.

Until next time,

C

No comments: